Author Topic: 460 V split phase  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Sidewinder

460 V split phase
« on: 04 June 2022, 06:02 »
Hello,
I am having trouble modelling a split phase supply.
This supply is a UK 230 V supply from single phase 11kV.
It is two off 230 V supplies with a common centre tapped N, like the USA 120/240 supply or the 55-0-55 ELV supply for power tools.
It is common in farms and rural areas with only single-phase HV, and more power is required.
Mathematically the N current is the difference between the current in L1 & that in L2, so the N cable size is not an issue, but I can't find that power source to integrate into my EOM model.
It's just not a 3-phase supply as we know it, i.e. 120 deg 230/400 V, nor is it single phase 230 V & N.
You can get up to 200 A (2 x 100 A) of current from the single-phase HV transformer with this system down a single 3 or 4 core cable.
It means you can use domestic consumer units, etc. It is intended for high load domestic premises.
It is common in South Wales as we have a large "area of outstanding natural beauty" not served with 3-phase HV!
I suspect it may be similar in other rural areas.

Offline Mert

• Administrator
    • ElectricalOM
Re: 460 V split phase
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2022, 10:04 »
Supply component does not have any settings to enable you to model a split phase supply at the moment, unfortunately.

However, you may try to model this situation by inserting a 3ph Y-D supply, set at 230VAC Ph-N. This will set Ph-Ph to 460VAC. Then you can insert a JB, just to act as a connection point, and 2no TX,  which secondary is set to 230, connected to L1-L2 of the JB.

Cable between the supply and the JB will be a three phase cable, and you will be able to see the neutral current but this will not be accurate because ElectricalOM will still try to model a 3ph system. You can remove the conductors and OCPDs of TXes to model the JB & 2no TX as a single node.

The downside is that as you insert actual loads, you will also start loading L1 and L2 conductors of the main supply cable. An unbalanced load warning will be displayed, which can be ignored :)
« Last Edit: 06 June 2022, 11:10 by Mert »